We are proud to shine the spotlight on one of our staff members at Southworth Library – Paula Sitarz. Paula has been working at the Dartmouth Public Libraries since 1999. She is a former Children’s Librarian in Quincy, MA, a freelance writer and a storyteller.
She has written 3 books on story hour programming ideas and reading aloud to children that have received positive reviews internationally. Books she has written on this subject area include:
- Picture Book Story Hours: From Birthdays to Bears
- More Picture Book Story Hours: From Parties to Pets
- Story Time Sampler: Read Alouds, Booktalks, and Activities for Children
Paula’s other academic specialty is theater history. She has written two books, also to acclaim, on this subject:
- The Curtain Rises: A History of Theater from its Origins in Greece and Rome through the English Restoration
- The Curtain Rises: A History of European Theater from the Eighteenth Century to the Present
Paula has also written regular columns for area newspapers as well as articles in journals such as Cobblestone, Turtle and Seventeen. Currently she writes a regular feature column on children’s books for the Bristol County, MA monthly newspaper Kidding Around.
As you can see, Paula is an accomplished author and expert on storytimes for children as well as theater history books written for the young adult audience. So next time she waits on you at the Circulation Desk you can ask for her autograph!